Buildings of Texhoma and their History
Adopted from Ginger Roach's The History of Texhoma's Downtown
|Second Street, north of Main, east-side|
|Across the street east are two buildings built in the 1920's. The north building was built by Harry Schriner. A.J. Jones had a furniture store here. Later Bob Mathews operated a large laundry, and after several years of inactivity. Jimmy Callaway has had his Plumbing and Heating business there.|
|The building to the south was first the Weatherly Grocery and then the Farha General Store. Ruffin earlier having his store on Main Street, E. Osborn had a Buick-Rumley Agency there and V.L. Tate and Vernie Jenkins then had an auto repair shop. It was Claude Hook Welding for many years until Jimmy Callaway expanded his heating and plumbing business to both buildings.|
|Masonic and Eastern Star Lodge building|
|Back to the 100 North block east side, on the south of the
Masonic Temple is the old Hanson and Son Bakery, built in 1921. Later housing Carl Osborn's International before he moved across the street. Later became Sellar's Feed Store when he moved from west to east side of the street. J.F. and Fred Lyle later put their long time grocery business in this building around 1928 after having been in two other locations previously and later moved to the larger building next door south. After that it served as Ike Long's Recreation Parlor for a few years until after Norris bought the Lyle Grocery next door and also purchased this building to use as storage.
This building has been removed.
|This next building south was built in 1916 for The Texhoma Times. Fred Krieger, George Butterbaugh and I.D. Devine being various owners. Later bought by the Lyle family to expand their grocery business and then by the Norrises.
These buildings have been removed.
|The building on the alley, another old timer, built in 1913, was originally the Hollis-Daniels Blacksmith Shop. For many years this building had a dirt floor. W.J. Daniel later bought Mac Hollis out and operated there until around 1943. Gaddys then ran the business as a machine shop until the Norris Grocery expanded to this location also. At one time a modern metal front unified these three buildings. It was later destroyed by a windstorm.
In its space Ronnie Harland has a self storage building, erected about 2000.
|Across the alley south run a series of small red brick buildings. The time of building is unknown except that it was built after the Farmer's Slate Bank on the corner which was built in 1907. The north end building has housed over the years the Dawson Funeral Home. Dawson Music Store. Lily Long Cafe (her original cafe in Texhoma, seating about a dozen people). For several years it remained empty, sometimes serving as an informal domino parlor catering to elderly men and referred to as the "Hoopey Parlor" as their hoops of joy rang out. Has since served as a private home.
The second building housed the telephone office and private quarters; then the Western Union Office. One of the early operators was a Mrs. Crutoinger who lived in the back. It was theWhitley Creamery and now Fred Winn's Real Estate office.
Last as a Day Care Center, but now empty.
Details are vague on the third, but it was C. Kugle Real Estate and Leasing Office and a Berry Real Estate at one time. In the 1960's it was McAnarney Dress Shop, later Lucile Simmons Dress Shop. The Rebecca Lodge held their meetings here after the upstairs Lodge Hall was closed. It then housed a Glass Shop. The last year, Slats Crismon moved his pharmacy to this, one of a series of little buildings which he has owned for many years.
Followed by as a Day Care Center, but now Texhoma Treats run by Shannon and Trina Burke.
The south end building was Dr. Hargrove's offices at one time. Then it became a series of barber shops run by Joe Pugh, Ralph Ellard and Tom Chance respectively. Marie Worley has operated the Pin Up Beauty Shop here for many years.
Was a Day Care Center, but now empty.
2nd Street north of Main Street
2nd Street north of Main Street, east side
2nd Street north of Main Street, west side
2nd Street south of Main Street
2nd Street south of Main Street, east side
2nd Street south of Main Street, west side
Main Street east of 2nd Street
Main Street, east of 2nd, north side
Main Street, east of 2nd, south side
Main Street west of 2nd Street
Main Street west of 2nd Street, north side
Main Street west of 2nd Street, south side
Along Highway 54
Highway 54 Businesses, north side
Highway 54 Businesses, south side, west of 2nd Street
Highway 54 Businesses, south side, east of 2nd Street
Some Other Businesses
Texhoma's Location and History