Buildings of Texhoma and their History
Adopted from Ginger Roach's The History of Texhoma's Downtown
|Second Street west-side, north of Main|
|The 100 block on Second Street. West side has the oldest business building still standing in downtown Texhoma. It is not known exactly when the building was built, but it was first the Jim & Bob Saloon. In early days there were two front doors and two separate shops in the building. Many businesses have been in the building including Snell Racket Store, a racket store being a forerunner to the variety store; Winney's Restaurant; Boyer Tin Shop; Bennett Jewelry; Miller Shoe Repair: a pool hall; Sellar's Feed Store; Doyle Schafer Cleaners; Butts Bowling Alley; Butts Dress Shop: Hanson Plumbing and Used Store; W.R. Waterwell Service, and presently Harlan Repair.
Tri-State Automotive operated by Tony Gill was there for a couple years and then Noel Wilson's body shop.
Now it is empty.
|This building north was built before 1920 and housed Kugle General Mercantile Store. Later served as Bev Haleys Hatchery. The Essex and Hudson Sales & Service owned by Ed Rowland; Osborn International. After being vacant for some time it was used for a skating rink. In the later 1940's Loren Flanagan had his Gamble Store in that location. It was then the Wilcoat Department Store, owned by Jeffcoats and Williams, and since 1960 has been the Callaway Processing Plant.
Building is unoccupied.
|The last building still standing on that side of the block has always been a hardware store. Built in 1908 as home of the Jack Pottinger & S.C. Stratton Hardware, it was the Langston Hardware in 1909. Later W.H. Langston and Sherd Hawkms were partners in the business until it was bought by R.F. Preston and J.L. Hook in 1943. In 1953 Mr. Preston retired and it remained Hook Hardware until Borths bought it in the early 1970's. Jerry Freeman and Gary Adams later owned it and Adams closed the store in 1980. Since that time it has remained empty. Another symbol of a passing era.|
|The 200 Block on Second Street on the west side stands the Texhoma Medical Clinic. It was built in 1948, remodeled in 1982 and enlarged in 1985. Doctors who have practiced medicine there are Doctors Oxley, Wheeler, Cozine, Del Guidice, McGaha, and Otto. Also a husband and wife team. Doctors Chris B. and Rita S. Slater. D.O., followed by Jaffery Lym, Ramirez, Tany Batista and Dr. Ladesma had a practice there.
The Texhoma Medical Clinic is now a satellite of the Guymon Memorial Hospital and they supply a doctor.
|Located behind the Texhoma Clinic on Walnut Street was the Texhoma Fire Department built in 1948 and enlarged in 1963. It was also the City Hall and the City Marshal's office.
The new town building was completed in 2001.
|On to the north in the next block stands another old timer. Built in 1915 by B.G. Penick as an early day Auto Garage and Sales, it was later owned by Sam Jackson and Jack Johnson for their Dodge Agency before they moved a couple of blocks south and changed to a General Motors agency. Heath and Nelson later had their International Machinery business there; At one time in the early 1940's it too was a skating rink for awhile. Arden Dawson, Jr., had his Baroid Drilling Mud business there for several years. In the 1960's it was purchased by the Jesse Riffe and given to the youth of Texhoma for a youth center. In a few years this was changed to a community center which continues to serve Texhoma.|
2nd Street north of Main Street
2nd Street north of Main Street, east side
2nd Street north of Main Street, west side
2nd Street south of Main Street
2nd Street south of Main Street, east side
2nd Street south of Main Street, west side
Main Street east of 2nd Street
Main Street, east of 2nd, north side
Main Street, east of 2nd, south side
Main Street west of 2nd Street
Main Street west of 2nd Street, north side
Main Street west of 2nd Street, south side
Along Highway 54
Highway 54 Businesses, north side
Highway 54 Businesses, south side, west of 2nd Street
Highway 54 Businesses, south side, east of 2nd Street
Some Other Businesses
Texhoma's Location and History