Buildings of Texhoma and their History
Adopted from Ginger Roach's The History of Texhoma's Downtown
|Second Street south of Main Street, west side|
|Across the street west of the lumberyard is the old "Consumers Building." After being closed for several years in the 1930's, it was bought by Frank Preston and Jay Hook in 1938 for a Sinclair Wholesale and Retail Gas Station and a Western Auto Store. In 1943 Preston and Hook bought the hardware store on north Second and Bill Hollis ran the Sinclair business. Ora Blacksten and Jack Johnson had the business for awhile and Frank Rhoden had an auto repair in the north part. Ernest Lester Johnson later ran the station and had a men's store there. In 1950 Ernest Johnson put in another Western Auto Store. After his death, his wife Ione and son Wendell (P.J.) operated the business until they sold it in 1963 to Eldon Simpson. The Simpsons later sold to Frank and Bill Baber who added a line of appliances and repairs and a garage service. Bill and Robbi Baber now manage the NAPA Baber Supply and Radio Shack store.|
|Fred Meyer had a welding shop behind Babers.|
|This building is located on the west side of Second Street next to the railroad tracks. It was second enlarged Ideal Food Store. Since then it was the Texhoma Times, Panhandle Chevrolet warehouse and the Hedrick Cabinet Shop. It is now used for storage.|
|The building located on the south end of the 100 Block of South Second is the Panhandle Chevrolet and John Deere building. It was first owned by Sam Jackson and Lloyd Kight. Later Kight bought Jackson's part and was the sole owner until Bert Allard, Jr., bought shares. Allard is now the sole owner of the building at the present time. He moved the Panhandle Implement Company to Guymon. This building then housed the Walnut Creek Feed Store managed by Rocky and Loni Bently. During the Texhoma Fiesta Days the art and crafts show is held here.
Currently Gene Sewell Machine and Welding shop uses the building.
|The white building next to the Panhandle Chevrolet office was owned by George Ferguson where he had his shoe shop. Panhandle Chevrolet and Implement also bought this building and it is part of their offices.
Building is unoccupied.
|South of the post office was the E.E. Coons Law Office. Pool Drilling Company then occupied the building. Today it is part of the Panhandle Implement office.
The building is now empty.
|Next to the Field Agency at 114 South Second is the Post Office. It was built in 1961 by Leon B. Field and Herb Mathers. Bill Wooten was the postmaster and has retired followed by David Gidden.
Currently Leonard Wright is the postmaster.
|Located at 112 Second Street (west side next to the post office), is L.B. Field Insurance Agency. It was first owned by Leon B. Field and Mr. Roy Etter. Then Omohundro bought out Etter. Later Herb Mathers purchased Omohundro's share and it was owned by Field and Mathers. Mathers eventually bought Field's share and was the sole owner of the agency. In January of 1983 Charlene Cornelsen bought half ownership of the agency and then in July of 1983 her son Bruce Cornelsen purchased Mather's share. Today it is operated by Bruce.|
|The north half of the 100 block on Second Street was known as the Williams Block. It was all constructed during the teens by P.M. Williams, who had homesteaded west of Texhoma, and was an architect and builder. Besides the entire northwest side of this block, he also built the utilities building, the bank and the first post office and many homes in Texhoma. The first of these buildings, the small one on the alley has served a great variety of businesses. Mr. Williams used it as his office. George L. Aycock had a real estate business here also. Dr. Thurston had his office there. It was a beauty shop for many years operated by Maud Hamm. Gelene Lyons. Laura Reynolds, and Dorothy O'Brien. It served barbers Jack Condren and Gus Berry. Cohen Penick had a tax office here. followed by Charles Brown Shoe Repair. Texhoma Chamber of Commerce had their office there and it is now Pal's Video owned by David and Pat Gidden.
Mr. & Mrs. Arturo Marrufo's run the LA MEXICANA shop. Currnetly Ann Welch has a "Some Used and Some Not" store.
|The present Texhoma Museum building was purchased by Jesse and Esther Riffe and given to the Historical Society for a museum. It started life as the Second Strand Theatre, showing silent movies. It was later owned by Ed Rowland, and then remodeled by Earl McDaniel in 1940 for his Grocerteria. After Mr. McDaniel's death, it was operated by Don Sayre.|
|Just north was Mallet's first Cash and Carry Store, later Earl McDaniels Barber and Beauty Shop. where he gave the first permanent wave in Texhoma. For many years Lily Long operated her Blue Moon Cafe here after she moved from her small start on northeast Second and before she built the Golden Spread on Highway 54. Hazel Broadhurst moved her variety store to this location from cast Main and in later years it has been also given by the Riffes to the Historical Society. It is used by Emery Elliott for a Swap Shop. and has a new front since this picture was made.|
|Next north was Cartright Dry Goods, the first Ideal Food Store, Arthur Smith Pool Hall, Ike Long Pool Hall and Jackson Furniture. W.H. Vincent later moved his drug store there. It was later sold to Horace Tarver. Dawson-Welch later expanded their Gift and Variety to include this building. It has last been used as Fred Sweet's office and storage and later owned by George Bergner and used for storage.
Currently it is a Youth Center for the 1st Christian Church.
|North from there was the Elkins Drug and later ran as the Miller Drug, and W.H. Vincent's Palace Pharmacy. This building featured a glass front that folded back to the walls. opening the entire front out to the side walk. It served as social center for the town for many years. This was the Rexall Store. Remember the Jr. Salesman contests during the 1930's with a shiny Silver King bicycle for the winner? After the drug store moved next door, the building housed Butts Dress Shop, Nichols Dress Shop, Welch Gift Store, Browns Pharmacy and later another beauty shop, then an athletic club.
Florence Lee Cluck and her daughters run an Antique and Gift Shop, but it has since closed
|The corner building has had a busy and useful past. Built in 1913 for Thomason-Mobley General Store, Tiff Thomason later bought it and ran the store for many years. It served as Dodson Dry Goods later. It was then Wilcoates Department Store when they expanded and moved from northwest Second and after-that it was Templeton's Department Store. It was purchased by Joyce Lasley and managed hv Carol Beck for several years as JA's Clothing. The basement and east building were active parts of the building in early years. The basement first housed Thomason's first 5 & 10 cent store. It was later a bowling alley and skating rink by A.J. Jones and Lee Oldaker. Homa Weatherly had a pool hall there. The back part was later used by Thomasons for their expanded 5 & 10. Later it was Thomason Laundry. Gaddy Laundry. Eslinger Laundry, a Dodson Pool Hall, and Smith Pool Hall. It was last used as the Texhoma Times Press Room. The United Methodist ladies have had a used clothing resale store for the past years.|
2nd Street north of Main Street
2nd Street north of Main Street, east side
2nd Street north of Main Street, west side
2nd Street south of Main Street
2nd Street south of Main Street, east side
2nd Street south of Main Street, west side
Main Street east of 2nd Street
Main Street, east of 2nd, north side
Main Street, east of 2nd, south side
Main Street west of 2nd Street
Main Street west of 2nd Street, north side
Main Street west of 2nd Street, south side
Along Highway 54
Highway 54 Businesses, north side
Highway 54 Businesses, south side, west of 2nd Street
Highway 54 Businesses, south side, east of 2nd Street
Some Other Businesses
Texhoma's Location and History