Buildings of Texhoma and their History
Adopted from Ginger Roach's The History of Texhoma's Downtown
|Main Street east of Second Street, north side|
|The two story building on the corner was built in 1907 by The Farmer's State Bank. A Dr. Snow, Ben F. Davis, Guy Slack, and W.C. Smith all served as president. After standing vacant for a time, Joe Bugner had a Bar and Grill here, followed by the same kind of business run by Orman Chenault. Van Brown had a tailor shop next. followed by the Fields Cleaning Shop and then the Thomason Cleaners. LeLand Daniels had a grocery here for many years and after his retirement, his grandson Bob Mitchell had a grocery. John and Karen Bergner had a floral shop in the 1980's followed by another floral owned by Mrs. Fred Harland. It is now an office for Bob Mitchell. The back part served as W.E. Bensons Real Estate Office. It was later taken into part of the Daniel Grocery. The upstairs was used for many years for the IOOF Lodge, the Masonic Lodge and Eastern Star Lodge.
Fran Berry has a sandwich and gift shop followed by Tommy's Embroidery which used the first floor. Currently Brady Meyer is using it as an office.
|Around the corner down the Main Street east is a comparative newcomer on the block, built around 1940. A low yellow brick building, the west side has housed the Bennett Barber Shop, Eletha Clark Beauty Shop, The Clip Joint run by Mike and Rhonda Meyer. Fran Berry Beauty Shop and now Lum's Barber Shop. The cast side has been a series of cafes--Wilson Henderson, Bill Clayton. Bessie Spradling. Jerry Thomason had an insurance office here and it was later a tanning parlor ran by Caria Pugh.
This building has been removed.
|The two story building adjacent east is another old timer. It was first the Maus Drug after they moved from across the street south, with doctor offices upstairs. It was then a series of grocery stores and cafes. Reed Grocery, Ruffin Grocery. Leland Daniel Grocery and Cafe. and Bessie Spradling Cafe. Exie Thomason lived downstairs and ran the Alamo Rooming House for many years and in later years it was remodeled and served as a private home for the Delmer Schafers.
The present owner uses it for storage.
|The next buildings are known as the Krull buildings. In the later 1940's Tom Baker had a Western Auto Store here. Elmer Hanson Plumbing and Used Store occupied the premises for a while. The Boy Scouts had their meetings and storage here and then Delmer Schafer had his Signal Service Appliance Sales and Service for a while. It was Lunt and Meyer Tax Service and Schafers now use it for a workshop and storage.
Now just used for storage
|The east building was first a cafe ran by Bulldog Smith. It was used by Krulls for storage. Frank Rhoden had an auto repair here and then Van Brown had a repair and storage for his ensilage cutting business. Since then the Boy Scouts have used this building.
Used now by Trent Bolin for collectables.
|On the second block of Main Street are buildings that housed Armstrong Cabinet and Hawkins Storage.
These buildings are now used for storage by Vernie Jenkins.
2nd Street north of Main Street
2nd Street north of Main Street, east side
2nd Street north of Main Street, west side
2nd Street south of Main Street
2nd Street south of Main Street, east side
2nd Street south of Main Street, west side
Main Street east of 2nd Street
Main Street, east of 2nd, north side
Main Street, east of 2nd, south side
Main Street west of 2nd Street
Main Street west of 2nd Street, north side
Main Street west of 2nd Street, south side
Along Highway 54
Highway 54 Businesses, north side
Highway 54 Businesses, south side, west of 2nd Street
Highway 54 Businesses, south side, east of 2nd Street
Some Other Businesses
Texhoma's Location and History